(Directions to RRO 2023 below)
- Standard scoring (for example, 1 and 30 is 1000//1500//300-500//500 all, 3 and 40 is 5200//7700//1300-2600//2600 all, etc etc: see “bazoro” explanation below)
- 30,000 Point start
- Negative Points are ok (no busting)
- Reaching at < 1000 is ok
- Reaching with 3/2/1/0 draws left in the wall is ok
- Uma is +30/+10/-10/-30
- All yakuman are single yakuman
- Multiple yakuman allowed
- non-yakuman caps out at sanbaiman (no kazoe yakuman)
- (update, Jan 2023) Max base hand value: 2 yakuman. (honba / riichi sticks still add to this, dealer 2 yakuman in bonus 2 is 96600)
- No red 5s
- 4 and 30 = mangan
- Double Wind pair = 2 fu
- no Responsible One Pays
- no abortive draws
- 75 minutes + current hand + next hand, diceroll marks the new hand
- no swap calling (chii 3m with 45m, discard 6m / pon 8m, discard 8m)
- All Green can have, but does not need, Green Dragon
- Dealer should confirm all players are ready before first discard
- dice are rolled once to break wall each hand (standard)
- touch the wall, draw from the wall
- discarded tiles cannot be taken back (revealed flat from hand to mat during discard = discard)
- no revealing of non-public information (no commenting on hand info, no looking at wall post-hand)
- verbally declare all calls, wins, and Riichi before reveal/discard/take
- temporary furiten lasts until furiten player draws/calls
- closed kan cannot be targeted for ron (kokushi included)
- Above all, be respectful to the tourney, yourself, the staff, and your fellow players. We are all friends here. Judge and staff reserve the right to penalize attendees for willful event disruption and obstruction of any kind. Act in good faith. Be nice.
Bazoro explanation, Short version: Scoring is normal.
Long version: the way you turn fu and han into a score is by doubling the fu a number of times equal to “2 + han”. So, a 3 and 30 is 30>60>120>240>480>960, so payments are 960=1000 and 1920=2000: 1000/2000.
The vast majority of western scoring sheets list the number of han *without* that “2 + ” part. but it’s always been there, and Saikouisen just puts that 2+ on the score sheet. no worries, though, scoring is the same as it’s always been.
(for all rolls, count counterclockwise, starting with the roller: so the seat of the roller is 1/5/9)
– all four players sit as they choose.
– one of the players gathers one each of 12ESWN (“the tiles”). They shuffle the tiles facedown and line them up. That player are “the shuffler”.- the player across from the shuffler rolls. the seat rolled is marked as “Temp East”.
– the person seated in Temp East rolls. This new rolled seat is the “First Tile”
– the shuffler flips up the tiles. they “pull” the 1 and 2SDDA away from each other to the opposite edges: for example, ES2W1N > 2ESWN1. If the most recent roll is odd, the “tile order” is “the wind tile closest to the 1, then the next closest and so on”. If the most recent roll is even, then the “tile order” is “the first wind tile closest to the 2 then the next closest and so on”,
– the wind tiles are dealt out in order, starting from the First Tile seat and going counterclockwise.
– the players note the tiles that were dealt to them, and sit in the appropriate seat (East sits in the Temp East seat, South to their right, and so on). The player with the East tile is the first dealer.
RRO 2023 Directions
This is RIT.
Walk towards the building with the white horizontal stripes, go up the lil steps, and walk under the overhang into the courtyard. walk diagonally through the courtyard (white flowering tree on your left, weird metal thing on your right) towards the ramp that follows along the brown castle-y building.
walk down that ramp, past the weird white statue on the left into another courtyard. the building you are going towards is across from you. you can walk under the overhang on the building to your right or just walk directly.
This is the entrance to Gosnell, Building 8, the College of Science. Go in.
Go in, take a right, and the elevator is on your right. enter in, and go to the second floor.
Exit the elevator, go left, make a right, and go straight into the open air atrium. (You should start to hear/see us soon) The tourney is on the other side of the atrium, on the left.